138 Hagood Road, Pickens, SC
Hagood Mill is located on Hagood Branch, earlier known as Jennings Creek, a tributary of the Twelve Mile River. Although mills had existed on the site as early as the 1790s, the current mill was built in 1845 by James Hagood and it remained in the Hagood family and continued to operate until 1966. During the historic period the mill and the neighboring store were a gathering place for county residents.
The mill and surrounding property were donated to the Pickens County Museum in 1973. The water wheel and mechanical components of the mill were rebuilt in the mid-1970s using much of the surviving fabric, and they were restored again by local historians and volunteers.
The Mill plays host to dozens of folk events on an annual basis, making it a prime location for a new roots music festival. With an audience already familiar with the grounds, the friendly staff and quality level of events, we look forward to adding "Grits 'N Grass" to their annual calendar.
Take a look at some of the other events offered at The Hagood Mill each year:
SC State Fiddling Convention
Old Time Jam
Americana Folk Festival
Rolling Waterwheel Gospel Revue
Mountain Roots Herb Festival
Native American Celebration